12 daily habits & tips to change your life through small daily actions over time.
Do you have a morning routine?
Over the years the only two constants with my morning routine is that I have one and that it changes, haha!
Although I’ve adapted it many times to meet my needs and situation, I’ve noticed that there are 12 things that I also keep in one way or another.
Cultivating a morning routine has changed my life. It has helped me through anxiety, navigating trials, moves and job changes. I have been so surprised to find that routine keeps me centered and balanced, ready to win my day.
- Wake up earlier. Over the years, wake up time has been different for me. It has changed depending on babies, teenagers, work and seminary. However, no matter what time I need to be up, I wake up an hour before I need to in order to fit in my favorite morning habits.
- Soul Time. For me this currently looks like prayer, a gratitude journal, a daily reflection journal, Come Follow Me study, a conference talk and listening to Jesus the Christ. I have tried adding meditation a few times and so far it hasn’t stuck but I love the idea of calming my mind. For others this can look like affirmation, meditation, anything that keeps your soul centered and happy.
- Make Bed. This one is so important for me. I love to walk into my bedroom to a tidy, clean room and my bed takes up a huge part of it! I don’t make my bed on Sundays. That day’s routine looks different for me. Intentionally.
- Hydrate. This one took a while to figure out. The minute I walk downstairs I see all the things that need to be done during the day and it instantly shifts my focus. I now keep 4 water bottles filled and next to my bed. I grab one and drink it. I also keep a 5th small water bottle that I fill up at night with 8 oz of lemon water. It wakes me up, I love morning lemon water.
- Learn. This changes all the time and I love it. I thrive on learning new things. Currently each morning I listen to a self-development book or podcast, and part of whatever Skillshare I am working on. I also memorize a quote, I enjoy having positive sayings that my mind can pull up.
- Tidy. Each morning I set my time for a 10 minute tidy. Part of my nightly routine is to shine my sink (any other fly lady fans out there?) so my kitchen is typically clean when I wake up. I like to walk through my house and tidy each room, I never go longer than 10 minutes but I keep from really ever needing to do a big cleaning day. I bring a load of laundry and start it. I swish one toilet and sweep or vacuum one of my rooms. This usually doesn’t take 20 minutes total.
- Move your body. Every morning, I do a handful of yoga stretches, 50 jump squats, 50 lunges and a minute plank. Then a dog walk. There are days I don’t make it to the gym so getting these in makes sure I have done something.
- Get ready for the day. This includes face yoga, a shower and sometime makeup, haha!
- Fuel your body. I typically have a protein shake because I am heading to the gym after my morning routine is done.
- Review your goals. This is a new one this year and I love it, I pull out my goal timeline and look through it. I am shocked how well this helps me stay on track.
- Choose your ‘one thing’. If you haven’t read the ‘ONE Thing’ by Gary Keller, I highly recommend it. It will shift your goal making and to-do mindset. Essentially I choose one thing that will make the most impact on my life goals.
- Serve. I like ending on this one. After focusing on my growth, I love turning my heart outward. I enjoy quiet reflection on who I can serve today and how.